I’m getting a very late start on tonight’s blog post, due to a full day. I appreciate the discipline I’ve built the last four plus years. Without it, these long days could crowd out one of the deepest desires of my heart…to write, every day.
I’m grateful too for the free writing that I do every morning. Thoughts flow and become words. Energy moves and clarity comes as my gel pen skims across the page, exploring truths, asking questions, getting answers. This post was born from one of my morning pages.
A verse from the Bible that I return to again and again is this one: Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
My heart is so FULL of desires. And the one I most share those hopes and longings with is God, whom I call El-le. As I write in the mornings I often pour out my heart to El-le, as a form of prayer or conversation, and most definitely as a way of sharing my soul.
A couple of days ago, I wrote this about the desires of my heart.
El-le, I have such deep and strong desires. Even at age 60, there is so much still that I want to do. I’ll list them. Guide me in following my heart and making a difference in these areas…
* Continue to live a plant based lifestyle that promotes healthy eating, cruelty free existence for animals, and offers training and encouragement to others so that they can thrive at their optimal level of health and well being.
* Wherever I am, whatever I am doing, let me be the soul of that place.
* May I continue to develop my writing skills, offer great content and grow my blog audiences. I desire to be able to write and blog from anywhere in the world, providing income and freeing me to travel.
* I want to travel…to places I’ve never seen, to destinations that I love. I long to experience new places, cultures, food, and people and hear their stories. I want to be able to send my kids on trips and take my grandchildren on adventures, exposing them to a broader and bigger viewpoint. I want to do good wherever I travel, inspire others and leave people smiling.
* Have meaningful relationships with family members and friends. I long for connection, deep conversations, shared interests and people to learn and grow with while finding joy in the journeys.
El-le I am open to everything and attached to nothing. Surprise me, call to me, stir my heart, open doors, close doors, nudge me, whisper to me. I AM SO GRATEFUL! Thank you for all that you ignite within me. My heart overflows with love.
That is a peek into a very personal conversation. And yet, it’s what came to mind several times as I asked what story shall I tell?
The desires of my heart offer direction and point toward my destiny. They give me clues about who I am and what I am meant to do. I am never given a desire that is beyond what I am capable of doing. They create the fire that burns within, fueling my journey. The desires of your heart do the same.
To paraphrase Leon Brown, a major league baseball player in the 60s…
I betray my true self when I do not follow my heart’s desires, for what my heart is attracted to is my destiny.
Lead on Heart. I am following…
2 Replies to “Following My Heart”
Thank you for sharing your intimate conversation. It is a sweet and gentle reminder that God is always listening and available to help co-create the life we’re dreaming of.