This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy for details.
Recently, the idea for a personal manifesto popped into my head. I scribbled some notes….and tucked them away.
This is one of the things I love about my life. When something is important, it cycles back around. I receive gentle nudges to pay attention to what’s important.
Such is the case with this project. A couple of nudges in the last couple of days reminded me of my intention to create this visual representation of my life. As always, it’s up to me whether I turn my attention toward that which calls to me. I’ve learned from past experiences that it’s to my benefit to do so. I returned to my notes.
You might want to create a personal manifesto too.
What is a Personal Manifesto?
A manifesto is a statement of intentions and ideals that sometimes includes a call to action. Think of it as a mission statement or a declaration of beliefs and desires.
A personal manifesto helps us to evaluate where we are in life, and provides clarity on where we want to go. It can provoke change, encourage shifts and inspire forward momentum.
I like to look at the development of words and check out their origins.
Manifesto originates from the Latin word manifestus, which means “make obvious”. It later become the Latin word manifesto, meaning “make public”.
I love that. Manifesto carries the meaning of making the obvious public or known. In the case of a personal manifesto, it’s making what is obvious to me, in my life, public, for the purpose of inspiration and guidance.
Each person’s manifesto is uniquely his or her own. They reflect journeys, beliefs, desires and wisdom.
However, here are general suggestions to create a personal manifesto of your own.
How to Create a Personal Manifesto
Discover what you love. Collect quotes, memes, art, photos and objects that help to clarify beliefs and where you are in the journey. Pinterest is a great online site to create boards where ideas can be “pinned” for inspiration. Boards can be set to private so only you can see what’s pinned there.
Pinterest is more a search engine than a social media site. Use the search bar to type in key words such as travel or gardening or dogs or art quotes, to find meaningful photos and posts.
Add quotes, colors and photos that capture your heart and make you smile. If you don’t connect with it deeply, don’t pin it to your board. I named mine Mood Board.
One of my favorite inspirational quotes.
Grab a notebook and a pen, type on a computer or use the notes app on your phone to make notes in several categories.
Write out…and Ask Yourself
- I believe…. (What are my views toward life?)
- I desire… (How do I desire to live?)
- This is true for me… (What words of wisdom have I adopted?)
Use your notes to create a personal manifesto that expresses your beliefs, your desires and your wisdom. This is a framework for your life, a compass pointing to your true north.
Write in the present tense. Use descriptive language and keep the words uplifting and positive. Don’t make the manifesto so long that you can’t read it in a few minutes.
See my example at the end of the post.
Display Your Personal Manifesto
Once it is created, place the manifesto in an easily accessible place, for daily reading.
Print it out. Write it in calligraphy. Create art with it. Frame it. Hang the manifesto on the refrigerator, above a workspace, or place it on the table next to the bed. This is your current Owner’s Manual. Don’t tuck it into a drawer and forget about it. Read your personal manifesto, every day.
This quote from Alan Rickman inspired a whole year of my life and continues to have an influence. Of course it made it into my manifesto.
My Personal Manifesto
For the purposes of the blog, I’m presenting my own manifesto grouped into the above mentioned categories:
- in Divine guidance and having a personal relationship with God
- in a daily, ongoing conversation with the Divine
- I am created to live an extraordinary life, beyond the edges, free from fear and playing small
- it’s important to love myself deeply and completely so that I can offer unconditional love to others
- life is big, mysterious and enchanted
- all people are children of God
- in making life a little more tender and art a little more robust (thank you Alan)
- I can do anything that I desire to do
- everything is energy
- nature laughs in flowers
I Desire to…
- follow curiosity
- surrender to the flow of life
- embrace my gifts and my quirks
- allow passion to fuel my life
- engage in new experiences
- travel, both inwardly and around the world
- offer to others while walking alongside them
- express creativity in a multitude of ways
- see the good in people and situations
- live a healthy, vibrant life by adopting a plant based lifestyle
My Life Wisdom…
- I accept that for me, the veil between this world and the Spirit world is thin
- I’m 100% responsible for my life
- happiness starts within
- I am open to everything and attached to nothing
- others have the freedom to be exactly who they are
- I create change in my life by shifting my thoughts and beliefs
- my outer world is a reflection of my inner one
- I am the Queen of my own kingdom
- life is art (thank you Helena Bonham Carter)
- be who I am created to be, no matter what
Get a similar mug here.
This Owner’s Manual Changes as We Do
As we grow and learn and shift, our personal manifestos change as well.
One of the values of reading the manifesto daily is to see if it is still in alignment with who we are. When something feels out of sync, it is time to update the manifesto so that it continues to reflect current beliefs, desires and words of wisdom.
My intention is to create a work of art with my personal manifesto, after I’ve pondered on it for a few more days. I’m drawn to paint a watercolor and add the words. Or perhaps I’ll print out the words and then create a colored pencil sketch over them. Whatever I create, I’ll share it!
What would your manifesto look like? What beliefs, desires and words of wisdom belong on your document or work of art? I’d love to see it.
Cindy Goes Beyond is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This affiliate program is designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, all at no extra cost to you.