This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy for details.
I have an affiliate partnership with Toad&co. All opinions are my own.
Did you know that the clothing industry is the fourth largest polluter of air and water on earth? Some of the main factors that contribute to this pollution are overproduction of fashion articles, the use of synthetic fibers and the agricultural pollution of fashion crops.
The number of new garments purchased by Americans tripled in the last 60 years. This demand for clothes increases the need for more resources and speedier processes to make those garments.
Fast fashion, also called throw away fashion, is the process of making trendy clothes quickly and cheaply. These clothes contribute to waste pollution as most of the items are thrown away, ending up in landfills.
One way to counteract this trend for fast fashion is to shop for well made garments that last for years, from ecologically minded clothing companies. It’s what I’m doing, to lessen my impact on the earth.
I’m thrilled to introduce you to Toad&Co whose eco-friendly clothes are making a difference in the world by making a difference in the clothing industry.
Origins of Toad&Co
This company began in 1991 with one woman creating fleece hats in a garage in Telluride, Colorado. The first Horny Toad store opens in downtown Telluride with fleece vests and jackets joining the inventory.
By 1995 the company headquarters move to Chicago. And in 1997 Horny Toad partners with Search, Inc to co-found the Planet Access Company, a warehouse that provides career opportunities for adults with developmental disabilities. During the 2000s Toad opens a couple of storefronts, partners with visionary organizations and moves the headquarters to southern California.
In 2010 Toad is named one of Outside Magazine’s best places to work. The company becomes a member of the 1% for the Planet organization and purchases renewable energy certificates for all locations.
The name changes from Horny Toad to Toad&Co in 2015, to better reflect the company’s commitment to creating global change through partnerships. Since its humble beginnings, Toad&Co helped fund 120 environment protection organizations, employed approximately 400 adults with disabilities and sent 500 people on trips in the outdoors.
Toad&Co says that choosing sustainability isn’t the easy route, it’s the only route. Therefore, minimizing their environmental impact and cleaning up the apparel industry is an integral part of their mission.
Toad&Co lives their commitment in the following ways:
- sustainable fibers – they use organic cotton, recycled fibers and other high quality materials known for low impact growing and clean manufacturing
- reusable shipper option at checkout – Toad&Co partners with LimeLoop to offer US customers a sustainable, reusable shipping container. They also ship in cardboard boxes and recycled paper mailers that easily break down in the garden or compost bin.
- circular economy – focuses on eliminating waste by promoting resources that are funneled back into the system. “Circular” clothes are designed to last a long time and then recycled, renewed or upcycled when no longer functional.
- partnership with thredUP – provides a clean out kit so that clothes cleared from the closet get sent in to thredUP. You receive a Toad&Co credit in return. Request a Clean Out Kit.
- renewal workshop – keeps clothes out of landfills by washing, repairing and renewing old Toad clothes and getting them back in circulation. Shop Renewed Toad.
- teach customers how to fix and repair clothing, rather than throw items away – sew on a button, repair holes in clothes, fix your clothes
Toad&Co’s intentions are to support their communities, take care of the planet and empower people to live their fullest lives.
They embrace these long term partnerships:
- 1% for the Planet – network of organizations committed to giving 1% of their sales to restore the environment
- Search, Inc – provides services and supports individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- The Conservation Alliance – protects Earth’s wild spaces
- The Venture Out Project – works to bring the LGBTQ+ community together to experience the beauty and fun of the wilderness
- The Adventure Travel Conservation Fund – funds local projects engaged in the conservation of unique natural and cultural resources of adventure travel destinations
- partners with local non-profits at each of their retail locations and their headquarters
My Experience with Toad&Co
This is a clothing company I can get behind with my support. I deeply appreciate their mission, intentions and practices. Their values align with mine.
And, I love their clothes.
I ordered the Camp Cove Shirt in salt stripe. Made of 100% organic cotton, this lightweight button up shirt is perfect for summer. The classic camp shirt will wear well over time.
I paired the camp shirt with the Taj Hemp Pant in oatmeal chambray. These linen like pants, made from stretch hemp, are lightweight and cool, with wide relaxed legs, an ruched elastic waistband and…pockets!
And my grandson Dayan picked out the men’s Primo Henley shirt in salt, made from soft, organic cotton. I’m excited to give him the shirt when I see him for his university graduation next week and snap a couple of photos.
These high quality clothes feel wonderful against my skin. And the garments are extremely well made. They truly will last for many years.
Wear Cool Clothes, Restore the Planet
Check out this extraordinary clothing company for yourself. Browse their fashions for men and women. Request a Clean Out Kit and send garments you no longer want to thredUP. Learn how to sew on a button. Repair a hole in a favorite shirt, rather than toss it in the trash.
Use my link HERE to get started with Toad&Co. You will enjoy wearing their clothing while making a difference in the health of our planet.
Choose sustainability. Choose eco-friendly clothes. I am. And I look forward to my next Toad&Co purchase.
Check out my gift guide, featuring Toad&Co and ten other companies.
Cindy Goes Beyond is an affiliate with Toad&Co and may make a commission when you purchase from the company through my link, all at no extra cost to you.